A bow-tie is the wannabe-smart human’s kryptonite. The thought of attempting the knot alone is enough to make you abandon the black-tie dress code, or cheat the system by opting for a clip-on. Not to worry – with a bit of patience and diligence, as well as our simple video below, conquering the perfect bow-tie is an achievable feat. Take a look.
HOW TO TIE A BOW-TIE
By Sam Higgins, 4 May 2017
1. Flip up your collar and wrap your bow-tie around your neck, adjusting it so that the left side is shorter than the right.
2. Next, move the right side across the left, before bringing the same side up through the neck loop, resting the material out of the way on your shoulder.
3. Then, using the left side, fold the material to the right and then to the left to create a bow shape.
4. Bring the right hand side down over the middle of the bow shape made in the previous step.
5. Pinch the bow together, while folding the excess material back up through the loop.
6. Pull the folded ends of the bow to tighten.
7. Adjust until level and neat, before flipping down your collar and throwing on a smart jacket.