In cinemas today, RoboCop is the high-tech remake of the 1987 classic of the same name. Directed by Paul Verhoeven, who, frankly, likes a bit of ultra-violence, the original broke new ground in both visuals, and, as our mum is fond of calling them, 'look away now moments.' The updated version follows a similar story - star cop gets blown-up, his body is then used in an experiment to create a super robot po-po, it works, all Hell breaks loose - but that doesn't mean it's not going to rock. Here're some robo-factoids to impress your friends and bore your partner with:
1. Look closely and you’ll spot the original 1987 suit before the designers decide to turn it black and add roboabs.
2. RoboCop is played by Joel Kinnaman, star of the American version of The Killing.
3. A statue of RoboCop has been built through fan donations and will hopefully be erected in Detroit (his beat) this year.
4. The cost of the original suit from 1987 is rumoured to have cost between $500,000 and $1 million.
5. RoboCop's main orders - Serve the public trust; Protect the innocent; Uphold the law - are loosely based on the three laws of robotics.