Style Quotes from Great Men
Quotes are good, aren't they? You can read them, memorise them, then pass them off as your own while entertaining friends or colleagues. With that in mind, here are 15 famous men chattin' 'bout what style means to them. Scroll down for the meat and potatos.
1. "Remind yourself. Nobody built like you, you design yourself." Jay Z, musician/businessman
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
2. Mark Twain, writer
3. "All it takes are a few simple outfits. And there's one secret - The simpler the better." Cary Grant, actor
4. "You don't respect my religion. I don't respect your outfit." Scott Disick, TV personality
"You don't find a style. A style finds you."
5. Keith Richards, musician
6. "Fashion is more about feel than science." Pharrell Williams, musician
7. "Fashion should be a form of escapism, and not a form of imprisonment." Alexander McQueen, designer
8. "Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say, and not giving a damn." Orson Welles, writer, director, actor and producer
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
9. Leonardo da Vinci
10. "A well-tied tie is the first serious step in life." Oscar Wilde, writer
11. "Style is when they're running you out of town and you make it look like you're leading the parade." William Battie, physician
12. "Black is modest and arrogant at the same time. Black is lazy and easy - but mysterious. But above all black says this: 'I don't bother you - don't bother me.'" Yohji Yamamoto, designer
13. "The difference between a man of sense and a fop is that the fop values himself upon his dress; and the man of sense laughs at it, at the same time he knows he must not neglect it." Lord Chesterfield, politician and man of letters
14. "Know first who you are, and then adorn yourself accordingly." Epictetus, Greek sage and stoic philosopher
15. "The important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time." Grandpa Simpson, grandpa