Beyoncé might have declared ‘GIRLS!’ the answer to the question, ‘who run the world?’, and you know the car she drivin’? She bought it. But she wasn’t anywhere near as vehemently in support of womankind when British Vogue asked her whether she was a feminist: “That word can be very extreme ... But I guess I am a modern-day feminist. I do believe in equality. Why do you have to choose what type of woman you are? Why do you have to label yourself anything?”
As a woman held up as an icon for equality, why so cagey about the F word Mrs Carter?
Here’s five reasons why feminism should not be a dirty word:
1) What do you want to do with your life? Get a cool job? Move to New York and meet a guy that looks like Adam Driver? ANYTHING YOU WANT? Good thing feminism’s got in the way of the ol’ parent’s house to husband’s house trajectory that was on offer to girls of yore then.
2) President Obama recently congratulated Kamala Harris on being the ‘best looking attorney general in the country’. Never mind being good at her job if she’s pretty, right? Disagree? OH HAI feminism.
3) How much do you love Girls? Guess what – if it wasn’t for feminism, Lena Dunham wouldn't be given creative freedom by one of America’s major networks to honestly explore what young women are really like, and not just how guys think they should be.
4) So you know that guy at work who’s getting paid more than you but probably spends way longer dicking around on the internet? You cool with that? Nah, nor is feminism.
5) Did you think it was way harsh that Princeton Mom suggested her son’s female classmates would find their dating options reduced to slim pickings the older she got? You’re probably a feminist then.
Are you ready to use the F word?